Accomplished List

1. Complete a 5K (May 5, 2012)

2. Complete a 5Miler (May 20, 2012)

3. Go to a social activity alone where I know no-one (June 12, 2012)

4. Brazilian Ju Jitsu (June 12, 2012)

5. Negotiate a Salary (July 1, 2012)

6. Great Falls National Park (August 12, 2012)

7. Pole Fitness Class (August 13, 2012)

8. Drive a Smart Car (September 1, 2012)

9. Cirque Du Soleil (September 14, 2012)

10. See An Opera (September 16, 2012)

11. Commute to and from work by Bike (September 26, 2012)

12. Reach investment goal (September 26, 2012)

13. Warrior Dash (September 29, 2012)

14. Visit Country #30 - El Salvador (October 13, 2012)

15. Visit Country #31 - Honduras (October 19, 2012)

16. Mayan Ruins - Copan, Honduras (October 19, 2012)

17. Complete 10K - MCM (October 28, 2012)

18. Visit Country #32 - Belize (November 22, 2012)

19. Paid off Student Loans (December 12, 2012)

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The 100 Lifestyle

I'm one of those freaks who thinks that getting older is cool.  For quite a few years now I've been dreaming of making it to my 100th birthday.  Obviously, if I'm going to do that I'll need to create a lifestyle that allows me to one day see the forest fire that is 100 candles on a birthday cake.  I've started my research and here's some of the advice I've found.

1.  Eat Healthy:
I am happy to report this includes things like wine, olive oil and kilos of dark chocolate which Jeanne Calment swore by (person with the oldest confirmed lifespan).  I'm not really looking to make it to 122 but I would like to take up fencing at 85 and ride my bike until 100 (just a few of the things that make Calment badass).

2.  Eat Less:
Apparently being on the thin side of the healthy range of the BMI scale is linked to long life.  This is terribly depressing news.  I'm not sure what it would take for me to weigh 118 pounds but I'm not sure I want to know.  **Will have a good cry with my buddies candy, carbs and marbled steak and then revisit this later**


3.  Drink a Hellava Lot of Water:
Shouldn't be too hard.....What? Alcohol doesn't count?  Damn.

4.  Run:
Runners are 50 percent less likely to die prematurely.  And there's a bunch of other good stuff too.

5.  Don't Smoke:
duh

6.  Don't Oversleep or Undersleep:
So shut yo mouf, "I'll sleep when I die" people.  Turns out those who sleep too little will probably get to "sleep when they die" much sooner rather than later.  It also means get no more than 6-8 hours, do so regularly and preferably in the same time frame.

7.  Make Good Friends:
Apparently a strong connection to friends, family and spouse is linked to a later expiration date.  So being social is good.  Interestingly, there is a higher correlation with friendship than family.

8.  Be Positive:
50 percent lower risk of premature death.

9.  Laugh:
Apparently fake laughter works just as well.  Weird.  ha.

10.  Chill Out:
Angry people die young.

11.  Attend Religious or Spiritual Services:
This one surprised me most of all.

12.  Get A Pet:
Turns out I'll be able to thank my doggie Haloumi for reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, better physical and psychological wellbeing, reduced stress levels, and lower blood pressure.  

13.  Floss:
Heart disease and un-flossed teeth are BFFs.

14.  Get an Education:
People with a college education tend to live a longer life.  Woo Hoo!

15.  Go Outside:
Sunlight is good for you.  Vitamin D.

16.  Wear Screen:
Unless you're curious about skin cancer or would like to be wrinkly before your time.

17.  More Sex:
50 percent reduction in mortality.  

18.  Go to the Doctor:
At least once a year.  Catch it early and you're less likely to die

19.  Turn off your TV:
Bummer.

20.  Don't do Dumb Stuff:
Wear a seatbelt, don't put your hand in a lions mouth, don't do meth, etc.  You get the point.


21.  Celebrate Age:
Cultures who don't mourn getting older tend to have more Centenarians.  

**One site said squat when you go poop to avoid hemorrhoids, anal fissures and colon cancer.  UH, NOOOOO!  I've been forced into doing that in foreign countries, and it sucks royally so I think I'll just stick to eating fiber. THANKYOUVERYMUCH.**

http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/02/03/how-to-live-longer/
Jeanne Calment - 122 year old bad ass

http://longevity.about.com/od/liveto100/ss/life-expectancy_10.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment