Accomplished List

1. Complete a 5K (May 5, 2012)

2. Complete a 5Miler (May 20, 2012)

3. Go to a social activity alone where I know no-one (June 12, 2012)

4. Brazilian Ju Jitsu (June 12, 2012)

5. Negotiate a Salary (July 1, 2012)

6. Great Falls National Park (August 12, 2012)

7. Pole Fitness Class (August 13, 2012)

8. Drive a Smart Car (September 1, 2012)

9. Cirque Du Soleil (September 14, 2012)

10. See An Opera (September 16, 2012)

11. Commute to and from work by Bike (September 26, 2012)

12. Reach investment goal (September 26, 2012)

13. Warrior Dash (September 29, 2012)

14. Visit Country #30 - El Salvador (October 13, 2012)

15. Visit Country #31 - Honduras (October 19, 2012)

16. Mayan Ruins - Copan, Honduras (October 19, 2012)

17. Complete 10K - MCM (October 28, 2012)

18. Visit Country #32 - Belize (November 22, 2012)

19. Paid off Student Loans (December 12, 2012)

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Running 5K and 5 miler!

5/5
I ran my first race in years, the Metropolitan Branch Trail 5K here in Washington, DC.  I figured it would be a good way to begin since the startting area was just down the street.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  At 8am it was humid and temperatures were high and for the entire run I felt like I was going to internally combust, not fun.  I ran a very uneven 12:43 per mile pace (running with occasional walking breaks).

5/20
I signed up for the Capitol City Marathon 5 Mile in Olympia, WA at the urgings of my sister.  It was her birthday so I couldn't find an excuse not to fly 3,000 miles across country for the weekend.  The morning of the race it was drizzling and in the high 50's, aka traditional PNW weather.  I hadn't slept much the night before and was absolutely dreading the hilly run.  I ran a 11:23 per mile pace.  The first few miles I took the occasional walking break but toward the end I was in running zombie mode and I was shocked at how easy it was.  Perhaps I'm not a sprinter and need to run longer races?  The 5 mile run was a thousand times more enjoyable than the 3.1 miles I'd ran two weeks earlier.  How strange!

**I would post the pictures but they're not the most flattering.  Note to self: take photo before the race.**

NEXT UP:  June 2nd.  5K through the National Mall in Washington, DC.  Perhaps this time I can accomplish my goal of running the whole 3.1 miles?  

No comments:

Post a Comment